Friday, 5 October 2012

an istanbul haircut.

Miguel decided it was time for him to get a haircut because his hair was longer than he liked it. Joel decided to get a haircut because he was bored.
The place was right by our hostel and we were drawn in because the price was only 15 lira ($8) and there were lots of people inside (all men including the hairstylists). They seemed very happy to have foreigners in their place and after Miguel and I quietly wished each other good luck we were ushered to our chairs immediately.
I was offered two options, "scissors or machine," he said pointing to the electric trimmer. But oh, how prepared I was, as I pulled out my iPod with a picture from google images and pointed to it. "Something like this. Machine on the sides and little bit of scissors on top".
With Britney Spears playing in the background, we got the full treatment-hair washed, cologne sprayed, and of course a nose strip. Other men in this place were also getting facial masks. I guess Turkish men really care about their skin.
The haircut was done quickly and after lots of gel and hair spray, I looked like Pauly D from Jersey Shore. But at least he tr ied.

After some change in styling, it's not much different then what it was before: good haircut, good price, good Istanbul. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you survived! Nina would not be impressed though! Be safe...Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete